Monday, December 11, 2023

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.

Hebrews 2

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. Hebrews 2:14-15

I maintain a pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I continue using DesiringGod.com's Advent devotions where I pick up on Day 11.  Here, John Piper unpacks Hebrews 2:14-15 as he describes the text as his "favorite Advent text because I don’t know any other that expresses so clearly the connection between the beginning and the end of Jesus’s earthly life — between the incarnation and crucifixion. These two verses make clear why Jesus came; namely, to die."  Piper then proceeds to go line-by-line with the text:

  • “Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood..."  In other words, in sending Christ, God has the salvation of his “children” especially in view." Those who believe in Christ become God's children and are adopted into His family.  We are referred to Isaiah 8:18, 53:10, John 3:16, 11:52, 1 Timothy 4:10, John 1:12.
  • “ . . . he himself likewise partook of the same things [flesh and blood]...” > "Christ existed before before the incarnation" (since the beginning of time) but became the incarnate Son of God - fully man and fully human.
  • “ . . . that through death...” > Christ came to die for us - and this could only be accomplished if He became fully human. "He was born to die. Good Friday is the purpose of Christmas. This is what most people today need to hear about the meaning of Christmas."
  • “ . . . he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil...” > "In dying, Christ de-fanged the devil. How? By covering all our sin. This means that Satan has no legitimate grounds to accuse us before God." We are justified by God.  "Satan’s ultimate weapon against us is our own sin. If the death of Jesus takes it away, the chief weapon of the devil — the one mortal weapon that he has — is taken out of his hand." We are referred to Romans 8:33, 5:9.
  • “ . . . and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.” > "So, we are free from the fear of death. God has justified us. Satan cannot overturn that decree. And God means for our ultimate safety to have an immediate effect on our lives. He means for the happy ending to take away the slavery and fear of the Now." 

A great message indeed! What a great God we have that has done all of this for those who believe!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for coming for me, dying for me, and giving me victory over sin and death - the greatest gift of all time!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.