Monday, December 4, 2023

But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Titus 3

But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:4-7

I maintain pause my study of 1 Corinthians and focus on a study of 2 Thessalonians and Titus as part of a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  This morning I read Titus 3, specifically vv4-7, assisted by a sermon message on this text from John MacArthur's Grace to You website. Here, John MacArthur digs deeply into vv4-7 where Paul writes about how God "saved us" and what that means for believers.  First, MacArthur looks at v3 where Paul emphasizes to Titus and the church at Crete that all believers were - before they were saved "foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another."  MacArthur refers us to text elsewhere that highlight this pre-salvation state - slave to sin and condemned to eternal damnation - see also Romans 1:21-32, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11a, and Ephesians 2:1-3 just for a few examples. Of course, such a state leads to death as a deserving punishment - Romans 6:23.  MacArthur then highlights a "seven-fold" salvation in the text:

  1. We are saved by His kindness; " It means that He has a concern in His heart toward people in misery. God is basically good. He is inherently good. He is inherently kind."
  2. We are saved by His love; based on the Greek word philanthropia - "It literally means pity, compassion, eagerness to deliver from pain or distress because of strong affection. It has the idea of a strong affection. It doesn't have some kind of self-serving component in it. It's not pity for the wrong reason. It's pity out of strong affection. God is kind. He is kind toward the ungrateful and evil men, as Jesus said, and His kindness causes Him to have a strong affection out of which He wants to act in pity and compassion."
  3. We are saved by His mercy; "It's different than grace. Grace relates to guilt. Mercy relates to misery. Grace relates to the state of the sinner before God the judge. Mercy relates to the condition of the sinner in his sin. Grace is a judicial concept that forgives the crime. Mercy is a compassionate concept that helps the criminal recover. Mercy looks at misery, grace looks at guilt."
  4. We are saved by His regeneration; "Obviously we can't cleanse ourselves, we can't give life to ourselves. That's all the work of God."
  5. We are saved by His Spirit; "There's nothing you can do to get the Holy Spirit. There's nothing you can do to gain or earn the renewal work of the Holy Spirit. That's something God pours out and it tells us in verse 6 He poured out the Spirit upon us richly."
  6. We are saved by His Son.
  7. We are saved by His grace; "He paid the price and therefore our sins are removed, justice is fully satisfied, kindness, love, mercy and grace can act freely. Justified by His grace. Grace is giving us what we don't deserve. We don't deserve to be forgiven. We don't deserve to have our sin removed. We don't deserve to be imputed the righteousness of God. We don't deserve that. We don't deserve to be just before God. We don't deserve to come into His presence. We don't deserve heaven. But grace gives it to us because God's justice is satisfied in Christ and He declares us justified...justified."        

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are so good in how You saved me and You intercede for me eternally, praying for me and never leaving or forsaking me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.