Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.

Hebrews 2

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. Hebrews 2:14-15

I maintain a pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I continue using DesiringGod.com's Advent devotions where I pick up on Day 19.  Here, John Piper discusses the freedom in Christ believers enjoy, and that we should celebrate during Christmas. First, Piper shares that Jesus became the incarnate Son willingly - He chose this so that believers could have life to the full (John 10:10). He willingly died on the cross "to give His life as a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45). We are then reminded by Piper that Satan tried to stop Jesus from dying on the cross by tempting Him in the wilderness and by working through human agents, including Peter (Matthew 4:1-11, 16:21-23). But Christ was not stopped and He endured an unimaginable death, despite a sinless life.  The crucifixion - per Hebrews 2:14-15 gives believers power over sin and death - and as a result, believers live with hope and that we can live fearlessly...for Him and His glory.  Piper shares as He concludes the devotion: "Christmas is for freedom. Freedom from the fear of death.  Jesus took our nature in Bethlehem, to die our death in Jerusalem — all that we might be fearless in our city today. Yes, fearless. Because if the biggest threat to my joy is gone, then why should I fret over the little ones? How can you say (really!), “Well, I’m not afraid to die but I’m afraid to lose my job”? No. No. Think!  If death (I said, death! — no pulse, cold, gone!) if death is no longer a fear, we’re free, really free. Free to take any risk under the sun for Christ and for love. No more enslavement to anxiety."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord You are good indeed and You give me freedom and victory over sin and death - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.