Sunday, December 31, 2023

You sweep them away as with a flood; they are like a dream, like grass that is renewed in the morning: in the morning it flourishes and is renewed; in the evening it fades and withers....So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.

Psalm 90

You sweep them away as with a flood; they are like a dream, like grass that is renewed in the morning: in the morning it flourishes and is renewed; in the evening it fades and withers....So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:5-6,12

I maintain a pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I continue using DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion. The highlighted text today mildly emphasizes a somber message on one hand - death - while largely focusing on the hope believers have how God offers renewal and new beginnings...appropriate for a year ending message.  John Piper entitles this devotion - Death Rehearsal - as he begins by describing how he treats year's end as a rehearsal for his actual death.  Of course because he has not died, Piper is able to reflect on the past year, and the extent to which he glorified God (pointing to Matthew 25:21).  Through this reflection, Piper looks back at positives and negatives, and how the Psalmist in the highlighted text describes how we should treat each day as something that is gone leaving us with fresh start in the new day.  Piper writes: "[n]umbering your days simply means remembering that your life is short and your dying will be soon. Great wisdom — great, life-revolutionizing wisdom — comes from periodically pondering these things."  Piper also refers us to 2 Timothy 4:7-8 as another example in scripture that gives a litmus test for how we should measure each passing year.  Piper concludes by sharing "...if we discover that we did not keep the faith this past year, then we can be glad, as I am, that this year-end death is (probably) only a rehearsal, and a whole life of potential faith-keeping lies before us in the next year."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of how You give me life and the mercies that are new every morning.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.