Saturday, December 23, 2023

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Romans 5

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. Romans 5:10-11

I maintain a pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I continue using DesiringGod.com's Advent devotions where I pick up on Day 23.  Here, John Piper describes - per the devotion's title - God's Indescribable Gift.  He starts by asking how believers receive reconciliation with and exult God.  He then provides the answer as "we make [the] portrait [of Jesus in the New Testament] the essential content of our exultation over God." Piper then points us to 2 Corinthians 4:4-6 as Paul describes conversion. We are then pointed to Romans 5:5 where Paul describes how "God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." Piper uses this verse and shares how it describes how we exult in God in "its fullest experience."  Piper then points us to Romans 5:6 where we read how Christ "while we were still weak, at the right time, died for the ungodly." We are to ponder this reality as we approach Christmas. Piper concluding thoughts for the devotion: "Not only did God purchase our reconciliation through the death of the Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 5:10), and not only did God enable us to receive that reconciliation through the Lord Jesus Christ, but even now we exult in God himself, by the Spirit, through our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 5:11).  Jesus purchased our reconciliation. Jesus enabled us to receive reconciliation and open the gift. And Jesus himself shines forth as himself the indescribable gift — God in the flesh — and stirs up all our exultation in God. Look to Jesus this Christmas. Receive the reconciliation that he purchased. Don’t put the gift on the shelf unopened. And when you open it, remember God himself is the gift of reconciliation with God. Exult in him. Experience him as your pleasure. Know him as your treasure."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who is worthy of all honor and glory.  You came to save me and all sinners - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such an indescribable gift - the greatest gift of all time.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin and to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, apply Your Word for me today and every day.