Wednesday, December 27, 2023

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God....And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus[.]

 1 Corinthians 10 and Colossians 3

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God....And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus[.] 1 Corinthians 10:31, Colossians 3:17a

I maintain a pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I continue using DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today - as we move close to the start of a new year - encourages believers to not live aimlessly but to live with purpose. John Piper shares: "God’s revealed will for you is that when you get up in the morning, you don’t drift aimlessly through the day letting mere circumstances alone dictate what you do, but that you aim at something — that you focus on a certain kind of purpose."  Piper uses the analogy of leaves blowing randomly across the backyard, pushed around by the wind to describe how God does not want us to live aimlessly.  Piper states that "[i]t is crystal clear in the Bible, including these texts [in 1 Corinthians 10 and Colossians 3], that God means for us to aim consciously at something significant in our days." Piper concludes the devotion by sharing: "God did not create humans in his image to be aimless, like lifeless leaves blown around in the backyard of life. He created us to be purposeful — to have a focus and an aim for all our days."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God that gives all of His children gifts and talents to be used, shared, and to bring value and good into the world - thank You for how You knit all of us together to share these talents into our various communities at work, at home, church and elsewhere.  You are an awesome God for how You bless us.  Yet I am undeserving of such blessings...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.