Thursday, November 30, 2023

Nor was it to offer himself repeatedly, as the high priest enters the holy places every year with blood not his own, for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Hebrews 9

Nor was it to offer himself repeatedly, as the high priest enters the holy places every year with blood not his own, for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. Hebrews 9:25-26

Today I pause both my study of 1 Corinthians and my study that accompanies participation in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  Instead, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today explores an unintuitive concept for unbelievers - how Christ's death on the cross represents triumphant shame.  John Piper first shares the hope of the gospel that for those who are saved "a great and holy God can and does welcome dirty, unholy people like you and me into his favor."  Piper then explains how God does this, and he starts by pointing to Hebrews 9:25-26 where Christ's death on the cross was - like it was under the OT sacrificial system - a sacrifice of a perfect blemish-free life.  This sacrifice from the text, however, was unlike the OT sacrificial system as it was done "once for all."  This is a triumph because sin and death are defeated with this "once for all" perfect sacrifice.  Piper explains, again looking at the text, that if Christ had to die repeatedly year after year such an act would "look weak and ineffective" and it would not be a victory.  The result of an annual sacrifice of Christ would nullify the "infinite value of the sacrifice of the Son of God, [as i]t would vanish in the shamefulness of a yearly suffering and death."  Piper then suggests that when you combine Hebrews 9:25-26 with Hebrews 12:2, we see triumphant shame in Christ's perfect "once for all" sacrifice.  Piper concludes the devotion by pointing to 2 Corinthians 4:4 and praying that unbelieving readers of this devotion "see the light of this glory and believe."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and Your death on the cross represents triumphant shame and it is also a victory over sin and death for all who believe.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You give me victory over sin and death.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.