Wednesday, November 15, 2023

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

Titus 2

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. Titus 2:11-14 (ESV)

I maintain my pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I participate in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  This morning, on week 4-day 6, the focus is once again Titus 2:11-13, scripture memorization for this text, and I am assisted by a DesiringGod.com Look at the Book (Lab) for this text (including v14). In this lab, John Piper unpacks the text by describing the structure of how two actions below produce both negative and positive effects and how ultimately, the waiting for our blessed hope works through these negative and positive effects. 

  1. The grace of God appears...training us to renounce (negative)...and to live...(positive)
  2. God gave Himself...to redeem us from (negative)....and to purify for himself a people (positive)

After describing the two actions above that have both a negative and positive effect or result, Piper explores how the remaining text in the middle - the waiting for our blessed hope - correlates with the other text (the two actions).  He suggests that the essence of God's grace appearing and Christ's self-giving trains in us how we are to renounce and live what Paul seeks, and how it redeems us from all lawlessness, and purifies us to become zealous for good works.  ALL of this is done by producing in us a joyful and confident hope of glory that frees us from being slave to sin and to the world...we are free to love God as He intends and to serve Him out of the overflowing love we have for Him (see snapshot of John Piper's lab notes below).  See also Philippians 4:7.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who appeared to me to save me, and you love me, train me and equip me to endure challenges and live with Christian freedom.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.