Sunday, November 19, 2023

Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.

Titus 2

Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us. Titus 2:7-8

I maintain pause my study of 1 Corinthians and focus on a study of 2 Thessalonians and Titus as part of a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  This morning I read Titus 2, assisted by the Christ Centered Exposition Series commentary for 1-2 Timothy and Titus, and focus on vv1-8. Per the commentary:

  • The main idea: The gospel calls those within the church to pursue God’s assignment of godliness, whether young or old, male or female.
  • Excerpts from the introduction: The church is being shaped by secular culture more than by sacred Scripture. Never has the church needed more desperately to hear the words of Titus 2:1-8. This is a text that makes God’s plan, God’s assignments, God’s roles for men and women in the church plain and clear. In this passage of Scripture, Paul outlined God’s expectations for each of the four major groups in the church in terms of gender and age. He defined godly living that is “consistent with sound doctrine.” Though the word itself does not appear, the driving concept in these verses can be summed up in one important word: discipleship. Older men need to disciple younger men, and older women need to disciple younger women.

Divisions:

  1. Pursue God’s Assignment as an Older Man (2:1-2): Paul seeks for Titus to lead the men away from their focus on the words of men (see Titus 1) to the Word of God. He encourages a different path for the older men of the church, including teaching the Word of God, being level headed and making sound Godly judgements in use of God-given time and talents, being reverent of God in all speech and behavior - not vulgar or inappropriate, being sensible/self-controlled and not letting passions rule them, being sound in his faith, loving, and patient. 
  2. Pursue God’s Assignment as an Older Woman (2:3): Be reverent of God, truthful, not slanderous, level headed (not enslaved to alcohol), and be a teacher.
  3. Pursue God’s Assignment as a Younger Woman (2:4-5): Love your husband, love your children, be self-controlled, be pure, be a homemaker, be good, and be subject to your husband (yielding to Godly leadership and direction).
  4. Pursue God’s Assignment as a Younger Man (2:6-8): Seek older men to pour into you and to serve as a model for Godly living. "Paul recognizes the need younger men have for godly mentoring, and so he instructs them in a pattern of discipleship that would promote godly character, conviction, and commitment." Younger men are also to be level headed/self controlled (guarding heart), a good example, sound in doctrine, and sound in speech.

In all these verses, believers, regardless of their role/assignment, are to serve as an example for others and to be above reproach - all towards an aim of saving others for Christ.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus for giving me Godly men who serve as examples for my own journey with Christ.  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.