Saturday, November 11, 2023

Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth[.]

Titus 1

Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth[.] Titus 1:1a

I maintain my pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I participate in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  This morning, on week 4-day 2, the focus is Titus 1 and a review of this text assisted by the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary: 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus.  The first chapter of the commentary explores Titus 1:1-4.

From the commentary:

  • Main idea: The salvation we have received in Jesus Christ leads to a life of godliness and service to God our Savior.
  • Excepts from the introduction to the commentary for this text: The text today is "one of Paul’s longest introductions [to any of his letters]....[the book of Titus is] sound in doctrine and zealous for good works are twin themes that tie this short, powerful epistle together....We could consider the theme [of the letter] to be “An Apostolic Manual for Church Planting.” Here is a blueprint for planting and building churches that will survive and thrive for the glory of God." 
Divisions from the commentary:
  1. We Are Servants of Our Lord (1:1): Paul "demonstrates the humility that should characterize our lives as servants of our Lord." It is noted that while Paul was not of the original twelve disciples, he soon became one Christ's core disciples "'but one abnormally born,' placed into the office at a different time and in an unusual way (see also 1 Corinthians 15:8)." All believers should consider themselves sent by God to go wherever He calls us - this gives us authority to do His calling.  "[Paul] says his apostleship exists for “the faith” (here is human responsibility) “of God’s elect” (here is divine sovereignty). Paul sees no dichotomy, no contradiction between the sovereignty of God and the human responsibility of man....The child of God is to live a sanctified life, a holy life, a pure life, and a godly life. Here the genuineness of the truth of the gospel is lived out for all to see. This speaks of our maturity as followers of Christ and further describes the purpose of our ministry. As servants of God, we exist to seek both the salvation of the lost and growth in godliness in the life of the believer."   
  2. We Are Secure in the Lord (1:2-3): "Paul understood that radical service for the Lord Jesus Christ must be grounded in a security in Christ that sets us free to serve Him with an otherworldly abandonment that knows, no matter what: I am His!".... Paul here addresses one of the great promises of Scripture, placing all its weight on the character of God. Note the wonderful “chain reaction”! The saving faith of those who belong to God leads to a knowledge of the truth [(the Word)], which will lead to godliness, all of which rests on the hope of eternal life in a God who cannot lie! What a promise! What a hope!"
  3. We Are Separated unto the Lord (1:4): As the letter's opening salutation mentions Titus, the commentary emphasizes how Paul and Titus (as did Timothy) shared a common faith, and it describes how the word savior "appeared 12 times in the New Testament", 6 in Titus alone, suggesting "[t]he question of who is Savior must have been an issue on the island of Crete." V4 also shares how because of the common faith we share with Paul, Titus, and Timothy, "we are family[, and] we are loved by our Father and our Savior. Flowing from that love are the three Christian blessings of grace, mercy, and peace."

Excerpt from the commentary's conclusion: "Grace inspires godliness. Salvation inspires service. Those who understand that God’s love for them and His desire for their salvation originates in eternity past and continues through eternity future will be compelled to love Him and serve Him. They will do so not out of obligation but out of gratitude[.]"

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord You are SO good, and worthy of my worship, love, and service - for eternity. Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You are good to me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.