Wednesday, November 22, 2023

But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.

Hebrews 5

But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil. Hebrews 5:14

Today I pause both my study of 1 Corinthians and my study that accompanies participation in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  Instead, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today provides a highly convicting message from John Piper on how to achieve spiritual maturity and a deeper understanding of God's Word. Piper starts by referring us to Hebrews 5:14 and then he says "if you want to become mature and understand and appreciate the more solid teachings of the word, then the rich, nutritional, precious milk of God’s gospel promises must transform your moral senses — your spiritual mind — so that you can discern between good and evil."  He then states that this is not an "intellectual challenge" but a "moral" one.  We must value God above all other things and value God such that it directs everything we do and how we spend our time - avoiding influences of this world that God detests (and are sinful) and not finding it burdensome but instead joyous to love what God loves - which is delight in Him...or in John Piper's words Christian Hedonism. THIS is the path towards spiritual maturity. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me discernment and wisdom to help with all matters of life - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You do this - I know that apart from You I have nothing - certainly no good things - and can do nothing - certainly no good things. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of Your heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.