Saturday, November 25, 2023

For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.

2 Corinthians 4

For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God. 2 Corinthians 4:15

Today I pause both my study of 1 Corinthians and my study that accompanies participation in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  Instead, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at gratitude to God and how it glorifies Him.  John Piper starts the devotion by sharing that "[g]ratitude to God is a joyful emotion. We have a sense of joyful indebtedness for his grace. So in a sense in the very emotion of gratitude, we are still the beneficiaries. But by its very nature, gratitude glorifies the giver. When we feel thankful, we acknowledge our need and God’s beneficence, God’s fullness, the riches of his glory."  Piper goes on to describe how Paul, even though he labors for the church, his ultimate goal (see also 1 Corinthians 10:31) is the glory of God.  In the verse in 2 Corinthians 4 that Piper highlights today, Paul describes how, as each new person is saved, God gets more and more glory as each new person saved thanks Him for his or her salvation - as salvation is of course a gift of which all believers are undeserving.  Believers be grateful to Him and bring glory to God - this is why we exist.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are an awesome God and worthy of all glory - You freely give me salvation and pour out Your mercies every day.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of any of this.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.