Thursday, November 2, 2023

Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven[.]

 Matthew 5

Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven[.] Matthew 5:11-12a

Today, I pause both on my study of 1 Corinthians and on my study of 2 Thessalonians that is week 3 of my men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  Today, my focus is the Solid Joys daily devotional on DesiringGod.com which is entitled "Rejoicing in Pain."  Sin and difficulties of all kinds entered the world in Genesis 3 where Adam and Eve disobeyed God's command to not eat fruit from "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" (Genesis 2:17).  A reading of the Bible, a review of the daily news, and reflections on our own lives confirm John 16:33 where Jesus tells his disciples that "[i]n the world you will have tribulation." In this same verse Jesus says "take heart; I have overcome the world," and it is here where John Piper focuses in this devotion - that we should have hope in our difficulties.  To be clear, Piper not only wants us to have hope, but he wants us to follow Jesus's command from today's verses to rejoice and be glad in light of these difficulties.  Piper shares two ways to rejoice in suffering: (1) "fixing our minds firmly on the greatness of the reward that will come to us in the resurrection. The effect of this kind of focus is to make our present pain seem small in comparison to what is coming[.]" (see also Romans 8:18, 2 Corinthians 4:16-18). This suffering then becomes tolerable which in turn makes love possible (see also Luke 6:35, 4:14) as Piper describes that "[c]onfidence in this promised reward cuts the cord of worldliness and frees us for the costs of love." (2) find joy in the "effects of suffering on our assurance of hope...[as] suffering itself works to deepens that hope." We are referred to Romans 5:3-4 as Piper shares that "Paul’s joy is not merely rooted in his great reward, but in the effect of suffering which solidifies the hope of that reward. Affliction produces endurance, and endurance produces a sense that our faith is real and genuine, and that strengthens our hope that we will indeed gain Christ."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good as I know You will never leave or forsake me in any circumstances, particularly the difficult ones.  Thank You Jesus for working in all things at all times. I am not deserving of how You work in my life.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.