Wednesday, November 29, 2023

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

Titus 2

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. Titus 2:11-14

Today, I maintain my pause of my study of 1 Corinthians return to my study of Titus through my participation in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  My focus this morning is preparation to meet with my d-group in person tomorrow to review material for week 5 (see below). Given my objective to memorize Titus 2:11-14 for tomorrow (building on memorization from previous weeks), I leaned on DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book (Lab) The Grace of God Appeared: Titus 2:11–14, Part 1.


Given Piper has four labs that unpack the entirety of Titus 2:11-14, this lab (Part 1 of 4) primarily explores v11, but it also touches on how these verses impact the remaining vv12-14.

  • V11: For the grace of God has appeared...leaning on this verse and looking elsewhere in scripture, including 2 Timothy 1:9-10 and Titus 3:4-7 we also see this "appearing" of God's grace and in 2 Timothy we see how this grace [was given to] us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, how it manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, and how it saved us.  Piper summarizes this by sharing that God's grace was planned, given, and purposed for us in eternity and done so before the ages began.  
  • V11: Bringing salvation for all people...again leaning on this verse and looking elsewhere in scripture, including 1 Timothy 2:1-4, we see how God desires to save all people (not that all people are saved) and this grace not only saves but serves to train believers, redeem us from sin, and to purify us to prepare us for good works. 
  • Ultimately, Piper concludes and summarizes the text by sharing that this universal extension of grace that appears in Christ for all people, for those who are saved, has a saving purpose beyond salvation for training, redemption of sin, and purification (sanctification).  See also key stages of Christian journey.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me Your grace - that saves and blesses me daily!  Thank You Jesus for such love and blessings.  I know I am undeserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.