Friday, November 24, 2023

So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.

Hebrews 6

So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us. Hebrews 6:17-18

Today I pause both my study of 1 Corinthians and my study that accompanies participation in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  Instead, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at Hebrews 6:17-18 and why the author of Hebrews encourages us to "hold fast." Piper answers this question by sharing:

  • "What Christ bought for us when he died was not the freedom from having to hold fast, but the enabling power to hold fast."
  • "What he bought was not the nullification of our wills as though we didn’t have to hold fast, but the empowering transformation of our wills so that we want to hold fast."
  • "What he bought was not the canceling of the commandment to hold fast, but the fulfillment of the commandment to hold fast."
  • "What he bought was not the end of exhortation, but the triumph of exhortation."

Piper than points us to Philippians 3:12 where Paul describes how he is able to "press on" because Christ made him one of His own.  He is the source of our power to press on and hold fast!  Remain in Him, hold fast, and press on!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are so faithful - I can rest in Your promises because You never lie and You give me everything I need to hold fast and press on.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and faithfulness.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to accept You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.