Friday, November 10, 2023

This is why I left you in Crete, so that you might put what remained into order, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you[.]

Titus 1

This is why I left you in Crete, so that you might put what remained into order, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you[.] Titus 1:5

I maintain my pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I participate in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  This morning, on week 4-day 1, the focus is Titus 1 and an unassisted review of this text. Paul has left Titus, another of his young proteges like Timothy, in Crete to establish Godly order and structure in the church there.

Paul's salutation, in vv1-4 is chalk full of doctrine:

  • knowledge of the truth accords with Godliness v1
  • God, who never lies, promised salvation and eternal life before the ages began v2
  • the Word is God v3

Then in vv5-9, Paul lays out qualifications for church elders, including:

  • above reproach, one wife, children are believers, not open to debauchery or insubordination
  • God's steward
  • not arrogant, quick tempered, drunkard, violent, or greedy for gain
  • hospitable, lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined
  • hold firm to Word as trustworthy
  • able to give instruction in sound doctrine
  • able to rebuke those who contradict sound doctrine

Paul then moves in vv10-16 to ensure Titus and the church he leads in Crete be aware of "insubordinate, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision party" (v10).  The church must rebuke such people (v13) and avoid falling into the trap of "Jewish myths and the commands of people who turn away from the truth" (v14).  Paul's words about such people are harsh and his warning about them stern.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus for giving our church such great and Godly leadership.  I learn from such leaders as examples - thank You!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.