Friday, November 3, 2023

[D]o not grow weary in doing good.

2 Thessalonians 3

[D]o not grow weary in doing good. 2 Thessalonians 3:13

I continue my pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I participate in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  Today, I begin week 3 and my focus is an unassisted review of 2 Thessalonians 3. Here, Paul turns from the topic of end times in chapter 2 to primarily a warning against idleness in chapter 3. Before Paul discusses idleness, he asks for prayer as he continues to press on sharing the gospel.  He asks for prayer first and foremost that "the word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honored" (v1). He then asks for prayer about protection from "wicked and evil men" (v2).  Paul then pivots from asking for prayer to encouragement for the Thessalonians - the church is thriving but still under attack.  Paul shares how God protects against evil (v3).  His encouragement continues as he shares that he has confidence in the Thessalonian church, that "[they were] doing...the things that [God] command[s]" (v4). In v5, Paul reminds the church to reflect on the abounding love of God and "the steadfastness of Christ," as knowing that God never changes, is faithful (see also v3), and He will never leave or forsake believers allows believers to endure difficulties and attacks from the wicked and evil.  Starting in v6, Paul describes his warning against idleness amongst believers, with commands to:

  • "keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us" v6
  • imitate Paul and the other disciples in how they "did [not] eat anyone's bread without paying for it, but with toil and labor...worked night and day, that [they] might not be a burden" vv7-8
  • "do their work quietly and to earn their own living" v12 
  • "do not grow weary in doing good" v13 
  • "do not regard [an idle believer] as an enemy, but warn him as a brother" v15

Paul concludes with a benediction.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - You are faithful and never leave or forsaking me, protecting me from harm by arming me in my daily battle against sin and the dark forces of this world.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message to me today and every day.