Monday, November 13, 2023

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not devoting themselves to Jewish myths and the commands of people who turn away from the truth.

Titus 1

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not devoting themselves to Jewish myths and the commands of people who turn away from the truth. Titus 1:13-14

I maintain my pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I participate in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  This morning, on week 4-day 4, the focus is Titus 1 and a review of this text assisted by the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary: 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus.  The first chapter of the commentary explores Titus 1:10-16.

From the commentary:

Divisions from the commentary:

  1. We Must Confront Those Who Are Divisive (1:10-11): It is noted that there were many false teachers in Crete.  Characteristics of such divisiveness included "empty talkers" with no substance, those seeking "shameful gain," and deceivers who promoted a "Jesus plus theology," and a "[hu]man-centered message."
  2. We Must Confront Those Who Are Deceived (1:12-14): Here, those are fall prey to false teaching must be confronted for what they believe. Paul refers to Epimenides in v12 in a description of the Cretan false teachers. 
  3. We Must Confront Those Who Are Defiled (1:15-16): We are urged to see fruit in others as a litmus test whether they are truly abiding in Jesus and the Word - or if they are idolators who are defiled and lack purity, denying Jesus not just with their words but also denying Jesus works that are motivated by purity of heart.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me. I am not deserving of such grace and compassion - my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.