Tuesday, November 14, 2023

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ[.]

Titus 2

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ[.] Titus 2:11-13 (ESV)

I maintain my pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I participate in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  This morning, on week 4-day 5, the focus is Titus 2:11-13 and scripture memorization for this text.

  • For the grace of God has appeared: God is real and His presence manifests through God the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, and the Word...and in all things (Colossians 1:16-17).  This is of course true for believers but it is also true for non-believers as Romans 1:20 states that even for those who deny God, they clearly perceive Him "[and] his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature...ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse."
  • God brings salvation for all people: Believers must profess and share God's Word with everyone per the command in the Great Commission (Matthew 28:20).  John Piper shares that Christ's sacrifice on the cross was perfect except it lacked a public presentation of the gospel to all nations - this is the role of believers - to go into the all corners of the world and to share.  God brings salvation through His people - the saints. 
  • This grace also trains us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives as we battle the dark forces of sin in this world and seek to bring the Good News into this world.
  • While believers seek to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives, we are waiting for our blessed hope - the second coming of Jesus Christ as He promises to return at the end of times. This blessed hope helps us endure through whatever is thrown at us - we know that this life is temporary and God is saving a place for us in Heaven.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God and You give me my salvation that trains me and You give me a blessed hope - thank You!  I am not deserving of these blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus, and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.