Sunday, November 5, 2023

For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

2 Thessalonians 3

For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. 2 Thessalonians 3:10

I continue my pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I participate in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  This morning, on week 2-day 3, my focus is a review of 2 Thessalonians 3 by DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book (Lab) "Does ‘No Work, No Food’ Mean No Mercy? 2 Thessalonians 3:6–10, Part 3" to unpack the text.  John Piper first starts by looking at the "key action" from verse 10 - which commands that the within the church everyone must be "willing to work", and Piper emphasizes the willing as there is recognition that some may not be able to work because of various disabilities, etc.  Paul is directing his command to those able to work and Piper shares how Paul's words demonstrate "tough love."  Piper then moves to Matthew 5:38-42 where the text clarifies that such tough love does not mean that believers are to be without mercy even when it may seem that others may be taking advantage of you or worse, cheating or harming you. To reinforce this view, Piper provides Matthew 5:11-12 where Jesus promises blessing to believers who yearn to do good - in spite of harm that may occur. Piper describes this further by describing how believers' satisfaction in Christ is so deep that our reward in Heaven from doing good overshadows any harm we may experience.  Returning to 2 Thessalonians 3, and how Paul commands shaming and not feeding idle brothers/sisters in Christ, Piper provides yet another text Romans 12:20-21 that reinforces how mercy overcomes any harm that may befall you. Piper then describes exceptions where "turning the other cheek" is not appropriate and tough love is warranted.  Two questions believers should ask in seeking wisdom in difficult ethical questions here: (1) is my heart satisfied in Christ to overcome any harm when I do good and not retaliate, (2) do I want my brother's good?

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from and overcome such love.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to and apply Your message for me today and every day.