Sunday, November 12, 2023

He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

Titus 1

He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it. Titus 1:9

I maintain my pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I participate in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  This morning, on week 4-day 3, the focus is Titus 1 and a review of this text assisted by the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary: 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus.  The first chapter of the commentary explores Titus 1:5-9.

From the commentary:

  • Main idea: Qualified leaders of the church must be men who exemplify godliness in every area of their lives— their commitments, conduct, character, and convictions.
  • Excerpt from the introduction: "God believes leadership of the local church is so important that He addresses the issue in detail four times in the New Testament: Acts 20:28-38; 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; and 1 Peter 5:1-4. Emphasis in each list falls on a leader’s personal character and theological competency.  God is primarily interested in who you are and then what you do." 

Divisions from the commentary:

  1. He Must Be a Man with Godly Commitments (1:5-6): We are referred to Acts 27:7-12 for text that describes Paul's time in Crete, as well as to Acts 2:11 where it notes that Cretans were in Jerusalem on Pentecost.  It is also noted how that, although the gospel spread quickly in certain areas, it proceeded slowly on Crete - implying strong leadership from men such as Titus was needed. Paul instructs Titus to seek order and structure in the church and to appoint Godly men as leaders to accomplish these ends. Above all a church leader should be a model for others to imitate and "above reproach". Sexual purity is key - as opposed to sexual immorality such as extramarital affairs. A leaders family and the character of this family must be Godly and the leader must demonstrate Godly leadership in the home.
  2. He Must Be a Man of Godly Conduct (1:7): Godly leaders must, in all that they do, demonstrate Godly behavior and maintain a reputation as such. The text describes both positive and negative character traits, including not being arrogant, hot tempered, a drunkard, a bully, or greedy - all negative traits a leader should not be known for.  
  3. He Must Be a Man of Godly Character (1:8): On the positive side, the text points to hospitable, loving what is good, self controlled, sober minded - maintaining a Godly perspective.  The commentary notes how this trait is so important Paul refers to it 5x in Titus 1-2 (1:7; 2:2, 5, 6, 12).  Godly character is described as flowing from Godly priorities and perspective.  Godly character is also described as self-controlled, implying that while Godly passions are positive, earthly passions are not and that we must (under the direction of the Holy Spirit) have "mastery over our passions and impulses." 
  4. He Must Be a Man with Godly Convictions (1:9): Leaders must be devoted to the Truth and God's Word and be diligent in an approach to teaching (healthy and based on sound doctrine), including use of the text to reproach when necessary. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, Your are SO good - Your mercies are new every morning and You provide all that I need, physical needs, emotional needs, and spiritual needs - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.