Tuesday, November 21, 2023

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

Titus 2

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. Titus 2:11-14

I maintain pause my study of 1 Corinthians and focus on a study of 2 Thessalonians and Titus as part of a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  This morning I read Titus 2, assisted by the Christ Centered Exposition Series commentary for 1-2 Timothy and Titus, and focus on vv11-15. Per the commentary:

  • Main idea: The grace of God is the foundation for godly living.
  • Excerpts from the introduction: No doctrine of Scripture is more precious to mankind than the doctrine of salvation. And no word is more crucial to the doctrine of salvation than the word grace....In Titus 2:11-15, Paul highlights the grace of God and the glory of God. What he discusses concerning these two realities can also be summed up in one word: Jesus. 

Divisions:

  1. God’s Grace Teaches Us How We Should Live (2:11-12): God's grace has come to us through Jesus. "Without calling for perfection, Paul says that a new direction in a person’s life is the outgrowth and expectation of God for those experiencing His salvation. The grace of God, the goodness of God, the greatness of God, the glory of God instructs us negatively “to deny godlessness and worldly lusts” and positively “to live in a sensible [toward ourselves], righteous [toward others], and godly way [toward God].” We are called to live this way “in the present age,” right now, today....And remember: it is grace, God’s amazing grace, that teaches us to live this way. I cannot do it in my power, my strength, my genius, my ability."
  2. God’s Grace Teaches Us Where We Should Look (2:13): Although believers have a temporary home in "this present age," we know that Jesus will return someday and we should look here. "The grace that has appeared speaks of His first coming. The glory that will appear speaks of His second coming. With a constant gaze and the experience of grace, our eyes are fixed heavenward with one and only one hope: His coming. 
  3. God’s Grace Teaches Us Who Is Lord (2:14): The doctrine of salvation is laid out as "Jesus paid for us...He purifies us...He possesses us....and He prepares us....He purchased us, to purify us, to possess us, literally 'for Himself a people for His own a possession.'" We are referred to 1 Peter 2:9-10.  What security is ours! Once we were Satan’s, now we are the Son’s. Once we were sin’s, now we are the Savior’s. Once we were foreigners, now we are family. Now I belong to Jesus[.]...Our works are the natural response to His work. Zeal for Him becomes our daily desire, having been prepared by Him for this kind of life. Grace teaches us who is Lord." 
  4. God’s Grace Teaches Us What We Should Learn (2:15): "John MacArthur says verse 15 'is one of the clearest and strongest statements in Scripture about the spiritual authority of men whom God calls to minister His Word and shepherd His people.'" Using imperatives, Paul commands Titus and all believers to "learn doctrine, learn duty, learn discernment, [and to] learn dedication."   

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me...teaching me how to live, giving me a home for eternity where I should fix my eyes and race towards, and so much more!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, apply and be obedient to Your message for me today and every day.