Tuesday, April 13, 2010

God's Will is Perfect, He Makes Everything Right

Today's reading:
Genesis 3
Genesis 4

Genesis 5

When I read these chapters I am left with several thoughts:
  • We are sinners and life is messy
  • God is just and will always be with us
From the very beginning of creation, man has been sinning, and we always will. It is amazing how God's punishment is just and full of mercy. Even after God punished Adam and Eve for eating fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, God expresses his love for Adam and Eve by clothing them:

"The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them." (Gen 3:21)

After Cain killed his brother Abel, God marked Cain so that those who might hurt him when he was wandering would be badly punished:

"But the LORD said to him, 'Not so; if anyone kills Cain, he will suffer vengeance seven times over.' Then the LORD put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him.' (Gen 4:15)

We continue to see evidence of God's love for us - despite our sin - in chapter 5 as Adam and Eve are blessed with long lives and and they are blessed with many children and a long line of descendants, each of whom lives a long life.

In the same way, we are blessed:
  • God uses our sin and his justice as part of His plan; is it not amazing that God sees a role for each of us, despite how unclean we are!
My prayer:
God, please forgive me for my sin - help me understand that without you, I would be as Cain might have been - a wanderer in the desert without protection. I know that you will protect me - please help me understand how my sin and your justice for me are to be used by you. Please help me remember how you will always have a plan for me and that this is an amazing expression of love in me! Thank you Lord. Amen.