Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Second Chances, Only for Those Who Believe and Follow God

Today's Reading
Genesis 6-8: The Story of Noah

What is striking about this story is the obedience of Noah - one can only imagine the ridicule he might have received by those in his town that saw him building an ark. And this was no small ark and it had certain specifications - of which Noah followed them all. I strive and pray for this obedience.

What is also striking about these chapters is how God provides man with second chances. As a matter of fact Noah, his family, and their descendants (although Noah had favor of the Lord, after the floods receded, they became representative of all men and women, even those who God deemed wicked and had wiped out) are given the same swing of the bat that is provided to Adam.

"Then God said to Noah, 'Come out of the ark, you and your wife and your sons and their wives. Bring out every kind of living creature that is with you—the birds, the animals, and all the creatures that move along the ground—so they can multiply on the earth and be fruitful and increase in number upon it.'" (Gen 8:15-16)

These are exactly the same words used with Adam:
"God blessed them and said to them, Be fruitful and increase in number." (Gen 1:28)

I am always seeking second chances...whether to do something I should have done (omission) or to start over after doing something I should not have done (commission). In either case, Christ is the way as He is the only one who will always forgive me, free me from shame, and welcome me back with a love so great I can only begin to appreciate. Thank you Lord!

My Prayer: Lord, I thank you for second chances. You died on the cross for me so that I could be forgiven and feel no shame. You also rose again to conquer death and offer me eternal life with you - if only I can believe in you. I do - and I pray that my relationship and love for you to grow such that I can have the obedience of Noah...the faithfulness of Noah. Amen.