Thursday, April 15, 2010

The First Command from God to Be His Brother's Keeper

Today's reading
Genesis chps 9-11

After Cain killed his brother Abel and after God wiped out all of humanity except Noah and his family, God specifically instructs Noah and his sons to be kind to one another and watch out for one another:

"But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it. And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each man, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man.Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man." (Gen 9:4-6)

Note the use of the word "accounting" implying that men must hold each other accountable - this is all the more striking because I today had a discussion with two brothers about starting an accountability group. In the above verse, I sense God speaking specifically to me - isn't God amazing!

Right away, we see this accountability at work with one of Noah's sons:

"Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard. When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent. Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father's nakedness and told his two brothers outside. But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backward and covered their father's nakedness. Their faces were turned the other way so that they would not see their father's nakedness." (Gen 9:20-23)

Although in Gen 11 Noah's descendants disobey the Lord and look to make a name for themselves by building the tower of Babel, we otherwise see the mercy of the Lord and how Noah's sons are blessed in Gen 10-11 for being obedient!

My Prayer: Lord please help be obedient. Let me follow you. I want to love you with all of my heart. Help me avoid temptations to glorify myself but instead you. Lord also help me carry the burdens of my brothers, lift my brothers up, and help me keep my brothers accountable to your instructions. Amen.