Friday, April 23, 2010

What Am I Not Able to Give Up to the Lord?

Today's Reading
Genesis Chp 26

Like his father Abraham, Issac was blessed in no uncertain terms by the Lord:

The LORD appeared to Isaac and said, Do not go down to Egypt; live in the land where I tell you to live. Stay in this land for a while, and I will be with you and will bless you. For to you and your descendants I will give all these lands and will confirm the oath I swore to your father Abraham. I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws. (Gen 26:2-5)

Yet exactly as Abraham did with Abimelech in Gen 20, Issac lies - indicating that Rebekah is his sister and not his wife. Eventually, Abimelech catches Issac in this lie.

For me, the question becomes - to what extent are we willing to give everything up to the Lord to protect and to provide for us. Issac fears for his life - yet instead of giving this up to the Lord he lies. I do this too. I have aspects of my life, big and small that I either have a hard time giving up to the Lord or don't give up to the Lord at all. Despite the lie, the Lord continues to bless Issac - is our God not great and merciful?

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you[.] (Gen 24:24)


My Prayer: Lord, help me depend on you and trust in you with all of my heart and being. Help me free myself from dependence on my own abilities and those of others. It is through you that I will find provision and protection. I love you Lord.