Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Envy Only Resolved Through God

Today's Reading
Genesis chps 28 - 30

Here we see Jacob blessed by Issac and sent on his way to Laban, nephew of Rebekah. Jacob's journey includes his dream at Bethel, his arrival in Paddan Aram, and his marriage to Rachel, Laban's youngest daughter. Jacob is deceived by Laban into sleeping with Leah on what was supposed to be the wedding night of Jacob and Rachel. This deception then spirals into a competition between Rachel, who at the time was unable to bear children, and Leah who bore several children and became a source of envy by Rachel.

"When Rachel saw that she was not bearing Jacob any children, she became jealous of her sister. So she said to Jacob, Give me children, or I'll die!" (Genesis 30:1)

The competition to win the favor of Jacob takes many twists and ultimately God resolves the cycle by giving Rachel a son, Joseph.

"Then God remembered Rachel; he listened to her and opened her womb. She became pregnant and gave birth to a son and said, God has taken away my disgrace." (Genesis 30:22-23)

Several questions arise, not least of which include:
  • Are we not willing to understand and submit to God's will - must we be so beholden to our own desires that if we don't get our way we ask to die!?
  • Do we really believe that envy and the resulting actions that come from our envy will create an outcome pleasing to God?
  • Why are we not willing to ask God how we can be part of his plan just as we are?

My Prayer: Lord, please help me be willing to understand and submit to your will. Help me avoid chasing my independence from you. Help me avoid envy and the destructive behaviors that can result. Help me understand how I can be used right where I am.