Friday, February 20, 2015

In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults.

1 Corinthians 14

In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults. v20

In this chapter, there are several themes with the primary theme being use of our speech with an emphasis on prophecy vs speaking in tongues - the latter being something that does not do much if anything to build up the church as Paul desires (see v26).  

The primary theme of this chapter is best summarized I feel in the below verse:


But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.  v19

Yet verse 20 speaks to me in the sense that God desires both the church to be built up (towards maturity) and each believer.  In Romans 12:2, Paul seeks for us to have a trajectory of growth driven by our focus on God:


Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

 Hebrews 6:1 (as posted here) also speaks to this.

My Prayer: Jesus, You indeed are a great God full of love, compassion, healing, kindness and above all love.  You are full of love above how any person can love.  And I know You love me...You chose me and then suffered and died for me...knowing everything about me including my sin.  I am not worth such a love.  I am selfish, uncaring, I worry too much , I am lazy, etc.  Thank You that You love me anyway but please forgive me Jesus!  Help me turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.