Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.

Colossians 3

Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged. v21

Paul's exhortation to father's appears elsewhere in his letters:

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

Paul's full words on "Instructions for the Christian Household"in this chapter are equally important:

Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.

Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.
 
Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism. v18-25

Bottom line: we exist to glorify God and we are to focus on things above and serving Him with all that we are and all that we do.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God - worthy of all of my attention and all of my praise.  You created the heavens and the earth and all of its inhabitants.  You existed before time, You created time, and You will be forevermore even after the end of time.  You are pure, holy and blameless....and You love me and serve me.   What an awesome God.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love and blessing.  I am prideful and selfish....focused on me.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from such sin and towards You instead.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of this cancer.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin.  Help me glorify and serve You with all that I am and all that I do.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.