Friday, May 22, 2015

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

2 Thessalonians 3

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.” v10

Regardless of your political views, this admonishment from Paul is clear - at least to me.  We must work - this is true since the Fall when God punished Adam:

Cursed is the ground because of you;
    through painful toil you will eat food from it
    all the days of your life. 
It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
    and you will eat the plants of the field.
By the sweat of your brow
    you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
    since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
    and to dust you will return.” Genesis 3:17-19

God also spoke through Paul when He urged us to obey our earthly masters:

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Ephesians 6:5

We are to work as means to glorify God.

My Prayer: What an awesome God You are.  Although You punish man by giving him work and requiring him to work, You give men skills and gifts that when used fulfill and satisfy souls - work that is life giving.  You have done this for me in my life - what an awesome God You are!  I am not worth such love and blessing....I continue to be quick to anger and slow to listen.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Thanks for all of Your love and blessing Jesus but help me overcome and turn from my sin.  Help me turn towards You instead.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Help me earn my way and work and in doing so glorify You.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength and comfort.  Please heal and cure Lisa of this cancer.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.