Tuesday, July 7, 2015

By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

Hebrews 8

By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear. v13

Expanded, this chapter also includes:

For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. But God found fault with the people and said:

“The days are coming, declares the Lord,
    when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
    and with the people of Judah.It will not be like the covenant
    I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
    to lead them out of Egypt,
because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
    and I turned away from them,
declares the Lord. 
This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel
    after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
    and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
    and they will be my people. 
 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
    or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
    from the least of them to the greatest.
For I will forgive their wickedness
    and will remember their sins no more.” v7-12

God found fault with the Israelites then and now "for all sin fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23)".

For this reason, we are all in need of this New Covenant - Jesus Christ.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Name Above All Names - worthy of my worship and focus.  Yet I often focus elsewhere - please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome such desires and instead focus solely on You.  Help me turn from my sins towards You Jesus!  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Help me go to You - daily and throughout my day.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength, comfort, and freedom from pain.  Please heal and cure her of this cancer.  Help her with these side effects - make them go away!  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.