Wednesday, July 1, 2015

But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

Hebrews 5

But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil. v14

We are encouraged by the author to push ourselves in our relationship with Jesus...to go beyond our comfort zone....to grow.

In the larger context the author says:
We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil. v11-14

It continues in Hebrews 6:
Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity....v1 

A key way for us to grow is to be active and to take on roles in our church, in the house, and in the community that stretch us to beyond our comfort zone.  We are to be active:


Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do. James 1:22-25

My Prayer: Lord You are an awesome God full of love and compassion for Your children, me specifically - I am not worth such love and compassion - I am full of anger and rage.  Please forgive me!  Help me overcome such sin and turn towards You Jesus.  Thank You Jesus for all of the many blessings You provide - a job, a home, my health, Lisa's progress with her treatments, my family, my church, etc.  I am blessed beyond what I deserve.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow and mature in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength, comfort, and freedom from pain.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.