Thursday, July 30, 2015

When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

James 1

When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. v13-15

I have held for sometime that selfish desires are symptoms of our sinful nature (in us but not from God - instead from Satan) and that when we focus on renewing our mind (Romans 12) God transforms our hearts, minds, and lives to the extent that we can recognize these symptoms when they occur and be better equipped to prevent sin from taking a serious hold in our lives...this has certainly helped me.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what a great God that You provide Your Son, Your Holy Spirit, Your Word, the church, brothers and sisters in Christ - all so that we can protect ourselves from sin and gain Your protection.  How awesome!  Thank You Jesus!  Yet I am not worth such protection - I continue to sin - complaining is my sin today among my many.  Forgive me Jesus.  Help me overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa comfort, strength, and freedom from pain.  Please heal and cure her of this cancer.  Help me put on the armor of God and defeat sin in my life and in the life of others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.