Thursday, November 3, 2016

Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her.

Proverbs 8

Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her. v10-11

In Exodus 20 (The Ten Commandments), we are commanded to "have no other gods before [God]".  In Matthew 22:34-40 it says:

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”  Matthew 22:34-40

Our first and best efforts should be for God before anything and anyone else.  We are blessed by God's grace alone - not through our own effort.

See also this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God full of love, blessing, compassion, mercy, etc.  I am nothing without You and I can do no good things apart from You.  Thank You for Your love and mercy. I am not worthy such love and mercy.  I continue to worry and stress and place my desires above Yours.  Please forgive me!  Help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure Lisa of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.