Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs.

Proverbs 10

Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs. v12

The Bible indicates that we are to hate sin - our own sin - but I have not seen scripture where it tells us to hate others, regardless of what they do.  Instead we are to love.

I have a message from God in my heart concerning the sinfulness of the wicked: There is no fear of God before their eyes. In their own eyes they flatter themselves too much to detect or hate their sin. Psalm 36:1-2

Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Romans 12:9

In fact, further on in Romans 12 Paul is careful to instruct us to avoid hate or revenge even when we may feel justified:

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.  Do not be conceited.
 
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:14-21

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. John 13:34

My Prayer: Lord, You are an awesome God full of love for me - so much so that I can describe it or even imagine it.  I know You love me and You love me the same until the end of the age.  Thank You Jesus - that I have such a permanent and faithful love such as Yours - I cannot find such love here on earth.  I am not worth such love - I let You down and I sin.  Forgive me for my harshness of others and help me overcome and turn from my sin.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin...and serve You. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.