Sunday, August 16, 2020

Although I have afflicted you, Judah, I will afflict you no more. Now I will break their yoke from your neck and tear your shackles away.

 Nahum 1-3

Although I have afflicted you, Judah, I will afflict you no more. Now I will break their yoke from your neck and tear your shackles away. Nahum 1:12-13

Day 202 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move from Isaiah to the book of Nahum where my commentary* describes how Nahum "prophesies against Judah’s archenemy, Nineveh (Assyrian capital), and predicts her fall".  Assyrians are described as "ruthless" and "cruel" and Assyrian "atrocities are particularly disappointing in view of the fact that, only 125 years before, the people of Assyria had responded penitently to the preaching of Jonah and had been the recipients of God’s mercy".  While Nineveh will experience God's wrath, Judah's "vassalage will cease".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

As God delivers an encouraging message to Judah that her freedom is near, I am reminded that Jesus Christ provides a freedom in Him that surpasses any other we may experience.  Many view Jesus Christ and a relationship with Him as a burden or yoke of another kind but I can say for myself this is not so!  All of us are either slave to sin or slave to God - for me I would rather have the latter than the former!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of compassion and mercy for me.  You give me freedom in You - a gift for which I am not deserving.   Thank You Jesus. Yet, again, I am not deserving.  I am often harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.