Monday, August 3, 2020

“In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it.

Isaiah 18-20 and 30-31

“In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it. Isaiah 30:15

Day 189 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as today we see the impact of Israel's fall on Judah.  My commentary* describes how fear of an Assyrian conquest of Judah pushes some in Judah to seek "an alliance with Egypt ([at the time] ruled by Cushites from Ethiopia)". Isaiah delivers God's message of warning against such alliances and to trust in the Lord.   

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Today I am reminded of Isaiah 55:8 where is says “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.  Like those in Judah who trusted in Egypt's military strength, I too often trust in the world vs God.  Yet I must find my strength in God alone.

I am also reminded of Exodus 14:10-14 where Moses points the frightened Israelites to seek God in the stillness of a complete surrender to Him as the Egyptian army barrels down to recapture them and return them to bondage in Egypt:

As Pharaoh approached, the Israelites looked up, and there were the Egyptians, marching after them. They were terrified and cried out to the Lord. They said to Moses, “Was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you brought us to the desert to die? What have you done to us by bringing us out of Egypt? Didn’t we say to you in Egypt, ‘Leave us alone; let us serve the Egyptians’? It would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the desert!”

Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides rest, strength and salvation - I must simply surrender my life and trust in You.  Help me do this please Lord.  You have blessed me and there are areas where I yet to surrender.  Please forgive me Jesus and Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.