Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare....For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.

 Isaiah 54:4-56:8

Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare....For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:2, 8

Day 198 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Isaiah as God seeks to comfort Israel in exile.  This morning's reading from my commentary* starts with God referring to Israel as his wife - a clear expression of His deep love for Israel (Isaiah 54:4-8). God then references the Great Flood and His covenant with Noah, and He establishes a covenant with Israel just as He did with Noah - "never to rebuke you again...nor my covenant of peace to be removed" (Isaiah 54:9-10).  God then describes the New Jerusalem and how Israel's future security rests in the salvation (from sin/Satan and death) of the coming Messiah (Isaiah 54:11-17). God then describes Israel's restoration and it is of course not an earthly definition of restoration as He exhorts us not "spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy" (Isaiah 55:1-5).  We are then told that our restoration requires our obedience and righteousness (Isaiah 55:6-7, Isaiah 56:1-2).  Restoration is further described as certain (Isaiah 55:8-13) and available to all, including the Gentiles (Isaiah 56:3-8).

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

As Isaiah prophecies the coming of Jesus and all that accompanies Him, we are encouraged to look upon Jesus not as a Savior expected by the world.  Jesus sustains unlike any other - that is why He is the one true God and that is why He is my Lord and Savior.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who sustains all that I am - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving for how You feed and sustain me.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.