Thursday, August 6, 2020

The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Isaiah 40-41

The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:28-31

Day 192 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I return to Isaiah. My commentary* indicates: "If there was any cause for optimism during the reign of Hezekiah, it has now been lost amid the paganism which Manasseh has fostered. Therefore Isaiah once again takes to the streets to warn against idolatry, sorcery, and even astrology. But now in his last days, and with most of Israel already in foreign exile, Isaiah shifts his emphasis. He projects himself into the period of Judah’s exile. He writes as if he were viewing God’s people after Jerusalem’s destruction. He sees their despair in Babylonian captivity. But even now, through God’s revelation, Isaiah sees the restoration of Israel, their return from captivity to a prosperous nation, and the rebuilt city of Jerusalem. Isaiah declares that his mission at this time is to bring comfort to those already in exile and to those about to be taken captive."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

This morning, as I read Isaiah 40-41 my commentary* highlights not only Isaiah's words from God to comfort Israel, but also to tell of the coming Messiah, and to describe attributes of God - including how God's people/nations are fragile in His hands, how God loves His people, how God's power/strength is unlimited, how idols are futile, how God is in control, and how God's people find strength through Him.

There are many verses from today's reading that provide us with comfort and strength, including not just Isaiah 40:28-31, but also:

He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:11

He who brings out the starry host one by one and calls forth each of them by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing. Isaiah 40:26

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides great comfort during periods of challenge and difficulty - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I worry am harsh with my words, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.