Saturday, August 22, 2020

This is what the Lord says: “Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the Lord.

 Jeremiah 7-9

This is what the Lord says: “Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the Lord. Jeremiah 9:23-24

Day 208 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Jeremiah. It is understandable that Jeremiah is known as the weeping prophet (see DesiringGod.com for a good application of Jeremiah).  Jeremiah must deliver a warning message to Judah with respect to her sinful and wicked lives, including what my commentary* describes as "false religiosity", idolatry, hypocrisy, false use/application of the law, and failure in leadership. Jeremiah's warning from God includes impending destruction of Judah, including destruction of the Temple of the Lord constructed by Solomon. This is of course a very difficult message - on top of this God tells Jeremiah that Judah will reject God's message and remain stubborn in her ways: 

When you [Jeremiah] tell[s] them all this, they will not listen to you; when you call to them, they will not answer.  Therefore say to them, ‘This is the nation that has not obeyed the Lord its God or responded to correction. Truth has perished; it has vanished from their lips. Jeremiah 7:27-28

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

God then instructs Jeremiah that upon rejection, he is to lament - hence the "weeping prophet" as this is one of Jeremiah's several "laments":

Cut off your hair and throw it away; take up a lament on the barren heights, for the Lord has rejected and abandoned this generation that is under his wrath. Jeremiah 7:29

God is also lamenting as He is a jealous God - desiring for His people to be His own.  Unfortunately, Judah has sought other Gods.  God is not happy that He must punish His children:

Since my people are crushed, I am crushed; I mourn, and horror grips me. Jeremiah 8:21

As I posted yesterday, God disciplines those He loves: 

See, I will refine and test them, for what else can I do because of the sin of my people? Jeremiah 9:7

Among their many sins, Judah has boasted of its own wisdom and strength - failing to acknowledge what God has done as Judah's prosperity and strength is due to God.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an AMAZING God who has done so much for me - I am blessed.  Yet I know I am undeserving.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.