Monday, August 31, 2020

So Jeremiah took another scroll and gave it to the scribe Baruch son of Neriah, and as Jeremiah dictated, Baruch wrote on it all the words of the scroll that Jehoiakim king of Judah had burned in the fire.

2 Kings 24, 2 Chronicles 36 and Jeremiah 25, 35-36

So Jeremiah took another scroll and gave it to the scribe Baruch son of Neriah, and as Jeremiah dictated, Baruch wrote on it all the words of the scroll that Jehoiakim king of Judah had burned in the fire. Jeremiah 36:32

Day 217 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I return to Jeremiah (with additional historical context provided via 2 Kings 24 and 2 Chronicles 36.  Jeremiah is told by God to record His words and to read the words to Judah - Jeremiah then directs his scribe Baruch to read the scroll aloud to all of Judah once dictated and captured by Baruch.  Of course, the words ultimately get to King Jehoiakim (see post here for background).  Jehoiakim does not like what he hears and burns the scroll.  Judgement is then pronounced against Jehoiakim, and a second scroll is written - we may not like God's plan but nothing can stop God from carrying out His will.

See also posts here on understanding God's will for our lives

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has done SO much for me and who is full of compassion, mercy and grace for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God - I love You!  Yet I know I also am not deserving of the blessings and love You pour out on me.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.