Thursday, August 27, 2020

[Josiah] read in [the people's] hearing all the words of the Book of the Covenant, which had been found in the temple of the Lord. The king stood by the pillar and renewed the covenant in the presence of the Lord—to follow the Lord and keep his commands, statutes and decrees with all his heart and all his soul, thus confirming the words of the covenant written in this book. Then all the people pledged themselves to the covenant.

2 Kings 22-23 and 2 Chronicles 34-35

[Josiah] read in [the people's] hearing all the words of the Book of the Covenant, which had been found in the temple of the Lord. The king stood by the pillar and renewed the covenant in the presence of the Lord—to follow the Lord and keep his commands, statutes and decrees with all his heart and all his soul, thus confirming the words of the covenant written in this book. Then all the people pledged themselves to the covenant. 2 Kings 23:2-32, Chronicles 34:30-32

Day 213 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Jeremiah. My commentary* pauses on a reading of the book of Jeremiah, and discusses the impact of Jeremiah on the young King Josiah, his kingdom in Judah, and even on the remnant of Israel that participated in Judah's spiritual revival under Josiah.  My commentary indicates that despite Jeremiah's challenges with Judah in terms of hearing God's message to repent, "[f]or now, however, the scene changes to a nation on the brink of a thorough, if brief, spiritual revival. Perhaps Jeremiah’s preaching has been more effective than he realizes. (When one plants the seed, he never knows when it will bear fruit.)"

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Josiah leads the people to repair the temple, and during the repairs, the Book of the Law (given from God to Moses) was found. It is read to Josiah and ultimately to all the people.  What follows of course is what we expect when we encounter God - we must understand that God's word IS God (see John 1) and when we encounter God and develop a personal relationship with Him, transformation occurs...and in the case of Judah (which extends to Samaria or to the northern kingdom) we see spiritual revival.

The most important commandment (see Exodus 20 and Matthew 22) is to love God.  We grow in our love of God by getting to know Him and we do so by spending time with Him in daily study/prayer

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has surrendered His life on earth for me - thank You Jesus - salvation is the greatest gift of all time. I am not deserving of such a gift. I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.