Tuesday, August 25, 2020

This is what the Lord says: “Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who draws strength from mere flesh and whose heart turns away from the Lord....But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit....I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve.”

Jeremiah 15-17

This is what the Lord says: “Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who draws strength from mere flesh and whose heart turns away from the Lord....But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit....I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve. Jeremiah 17:5, 7-8, 10 

Day 211 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Jeremiah. This morning, my reading focuses on the challenge of Jeremiah's mission - to chastise Judah of her wickedness and to warn her of impending captivity.  My commentary* discusses how Jeremiah feels the weight of his mission, particularly in light of how false prophets claim peace and prosperity will continue for Judah.  Jeremiah is mocked, many seek to kill him, and God seeks great sacrifice from Jeremiah, telling him not to marry, mourn at funerals, or to feast (Jeremiah 16:1-9). As Jeremiah complains, God seeks to both chastise and reassure Jeremiah in the mission.  One of God's key messages to Jeremiah and Judah is how "trust in man [is] futile" and how "God knows the heart".  God wants Jeremiah to glorify God through the mission - do what God says and in the process worship and seek to bring glory to God...and God will work through You to accomplish His will.

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

We must focus on our heart condition as we strive to love the Lord more each day.

God gives each believer a mission and we are encouraged not to focus on worldly definitions of mission success - but instead on worship and the glory of God.  John Piper provides great insights on this topic.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has done MUCH in my heart and life - I love You Lord!  Thank You for the many blessings You have poured out in my life!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.