Thursday, August 20, 2020

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

 Jeremiah 3-5

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:14-16

Day 206 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my study of Jeremiah.  While yesterday my focus on how God equips those He calls to serve, this morning my focus is God's message to Judah through Jeremiah. According to the MacArthur Bible Study Commentary (for purchase), Judah's "spiritual condition...was one of flagrant idol worship....as [r]eligious insincerity, dishonesty, adultery, injustice, tyranny against the helpless, and slander prevailed as the norm, not the exception". While my commentary* details Judah's sin, the sin of Judah's religious leaders and false prophets stands out as the people of Judah were led to sin...highlighting how people let us down. 

[Jeremiah] thought, “These are only the poor; they are foolish, for they do not know the way of the Lord, the requirements of their God. So I will go to the leaders and speak to them; surely they know the way of the Lord, the requirements of their God.” But with one accord they too had broken off the yoke and torn off the bonds. Jeremiah 5:4-5

[Judah's false prophets] have lied about the Lord; they said, “He will do nothing! No harm will come to us; we will never see sword or famine. The prophets are but wind and the word is not in them; so let what they say be done to them.” Jeremiah 5:12-13

We must have discernment about who leads us in our communities, churches, etc. We must also understand the limits of people. Only Jesus can serve as our King and High Priest!  He is the leader we all need.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who came to us as a lowly child, lived a perfect life, yet willingly laid down Your life so that we could reconciliation with God, and freedom from the sting of sin and death.  Thank You Jesus!  The greatest gift of all time.  I am not deserving of such a gift.  I sin daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.