Monday, August 24, 2020

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

 Jeremiah 13-15

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:14-16

Day 210 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Jeremiah. Similar to my post yesterday, this morning we see Jeremiah in a back-and-forth dialogue with God as Jeremiah first receives a demonstration of God's intent for Judah so that Jeremiah has what my commentary* describes as "even further assurance" of His plans for Judah (see Jeremiah 13:1-11 where God uses a linen belt as a sign for what His plans are for Judah).   My commentary* goes on to describe how Jeremiah is "[s]trengthened and encouraged by this demonstration, and [he] continues his difficult mission (to warn Judah of her impending captivity and punishment and why she is being punished)".  The punishment is so harsh that God will not accept (say no) Judah's prayers for relief (Jeremiah 14:7-12).  Although my commentary* is not certain why Jeremiah goes to God with a question/comment how Judah's other prophets (not called by God) claim to contradict God's message - God is unequivocal in His response that these are false prophets and not sent by Him (Jeremiah 14:13-18).  Finally, for this morning's reading, we see even the prayers of the just answered with a resounding "no" (Jeremiah 15:1-2).

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

The question of unanswered prayers is a difficult one, but John Piper helps shed light on this for me - using Genesis 17 as an application for his point.  We must be prepared to see God at work - even when He answers "no" to our prayers.  For Judah, God had every right to be angry with her sin and God had every right to seek punishment in the way that He describes in Jeremiah 13-15.  But this does not mean God is not at work!  Judah needed discipline!

Believers should also be grateful that we have Jesus Christ as our High Priest as Pastor Marty (see sermon from 23AUG) points out in Hebrews 4 (and Hebrews 2:17) how Jesus had to go to the cross so that He could make atonement for our sins and be able to empathize with us in our temptations and trials. 

God DOES hear our cries, He does answer our prayers, and even though it may not not be "yes" to our prayers, we can be assured that He does love us and He will never leave or forsake us.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who knows everything about me - every concern, etc. and You always respond - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your love, compassion, or mercy.  I sin...daily, including worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.