Tuesday, August 4, 2020

And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

2 Kings 18-20, Isaiah 36-39, and 2 Chronicles 32

And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. James 5:15-16

Day 190 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as this morning the focus is what my commentary* refers to as the "last years of Hezekiah's reign".  These last years included an Assyrian invasion of Judah, Hezekiah's tribute to Assyria in response, Hezekiah's illness and miraculous healing from God, Hezekiah's initial gratitude towards God for this healing, Hezekiah's lingering pride issues and Hezekiah's repentance from such pride, descriptions of Judah's prosperity during Hezekiah's reign, envoys (as a test) from Babylon, and another invasion from Assyria and Hezekiah's reliance on God during this subsequent invasion.  Ultimately, Babylon overtakes Judah but not in Hezekiah's lifetime.    

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Hezekiah is far from perfect, nor are any of us as we all sin and need a Savior and God's message though Isaiah provides faithful believers with great hope for how He intervenes in the lives of those who trust Him.  Hezekiah goes to God in prayer and for counsel.

God's words concerning Assyria:

‘But I know where you are and when you come and go and how you rage against me. Because you rage against me and because your insolence has reached my ears, I will put my hook in your nose and my bit in your mouth, and I will make you return by the way you came.’ 2 Kings 19:27-28, Isaiah 37:28-29

He will not enter this city or shoot an arrow here. He will not come before it with shield or build a siege ramp against it. By the way that he came he will return; he will not enter this city, declares the Lord. I will defend this city and save it, for my sake and for the sake of David my servant.’ 2 Kings 19:32-34, Isaiah 37:33-35

Assyria is ultimately turned back.  For me the takeaway today is how God responds to prayer.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is ALWAYS listening and responding to our prayers - thank You Jesus!  I know You love me!  I am not deserving of such love.  I sin - worry and other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.