Saturday, August 15, 2020

In his distress he sought the favor of the Lord his God and humbled himself greatly before the God of his ancestors. And when he prayed to him, the Lord was moved by his entreaty and listened to his plea; so he brought him back to Jerusalem and to his kingdom. Then Manasseh knew that the Lord is God.

Isaiah 65-66, 2 Kings 19:37, 2 Chronicles 32:21, 33:10-17, and Isaiah 37:38 

In his distress he sought the favor of the Lord his God and humbled himself greatly before the God of his ancestors. And when he prayed to him, the Lord was moved by his entreaty and listened to his plea; so he brought him back to Jerusalem and to his kingdom. Then Manasseh knew that the Lord is God. 2 Chronicles 33:12-13

Day 201 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) wraps up my study of Isaiah as God seeks to comfort Israel in exile.  This morning, my commentary* describes how God's words of comfort to Israel include an explanation for His judgement and punishment (exile) (Isaiah 65:1-7), how salvation is coming to the faithful remnant of Israel and Judah (Isaiah 65:8-10), and how God's servants can expect to be blessed (Isaiah 65:13-16, Isaiah 66:7-14).  Isaiah describes the Final Judgement, how He will create a new heavens and new earth, how pain and suffering will no longer exist, and how believers will experience eternal life (Isaiah 65:17-25). This message includes a stern warning for the unrepentant (Isaiah 65:11-12) who will experience eternal damnation (Isaiah 66:3-6, 15-17).

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

My commentary* asks "how anyone could ignore or reject such a powerful message", suggesting that "[s]ome will reject the message because they are willfully stubborn, and others because they are caught up in material pursuits, or pleasurable diversions, or even false religious worship. Perhaps saddest of all, God’s message will sometimes be hidden from the common people by the very ones who ought to bring understanding—the religious leaders".

My commentary* wraps today's study with Manasseh (see also earlier post as reference) repenting of his earlier and sinful turn away from God (2 Chronicles 33:10-11).

While God is patient (beyond any patience we can truly understand), RC Sproul reminds us that there are limits to God's patience. Manasseh and the remnant of believers in Israel and Judah are good examples of those who have understood these limits - we must also...or face dire consequences.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has given me faith...and demonstrated extreme patience, mercy and compassion with me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of all the second chances You give.  My sin continues - including harsh words.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.