Sunday, January 21, 2024

Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account....Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.

 Matthew 5 and Luke 10

Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account....Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven. Matthew 5:11, Luke 10:20

This morning, I pause my study of 1 Corinthians to use DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how Jesus "revealed a secret that protects our happiness from the threat of suffering and the threat of success." This secret follows in Matthew 5:12 is that "[g]reat is your reward in heaven." John Piper highlights both Matthew 5:11-12 and Luke 10:20 to show us how Jesus protects our joy and happiness.  In Luke 10:17, Piper expands his review of the text to share how Jesus warned the disciples not to be tempted to "put their joy in ministry success."  Piper summarizes the text and its application by sharing how we must focus on the "greater reward in heaven" as the anchor of our happiness and joy. "[T]hus [Jesus] freed us from the tyranny of worldly pain and pleasure — worldly suffering and worldly success."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion - giving me protection of my joy and happiness through my salvation.  Thank You Jesus! I am not deserving of such love, compassion, grace, and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.