Wednesday, January 3, 2024

The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.

1 Corinthians 10

The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. 1 Corinthians 10:16-17

After a long pause, I return to my study of 1 Corinthians, picking up with a review of 1 Corinthians 10:14-22 using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary volume for this book.  From the commentary for this text:

Main idea: "Avoid idolatry and practices that bring you near idols, knowing that demonic activity promotes them."

Key excerpt from the introduction:

  • "[The Corinthians] believed in demons, but they failed to understand how dangerous and seductive they are. When it came to eating food sacrificed to an idol in a pagan temple, for instance, they did not realize they were dining with demons there! Paul knew if one dances with the devil, he or she should not be surprised to get burned."
  • "Paul knew if one dances with the devil, he or she should not be surprised to get burned. Just as we must “flee sexual immorality” (6:18), we must also “flee from idolatry” (10:14). These two sins are like twins. They often go around together. Therefore, we must always be on guard against both."

Major divisions:

  1. Communion with the Lord Is Essential (10:14-17): "If you run from idolatry, it will be hard for it to catch you. Stay away from it, and the temptation to give in to it will not present itself. If you are not at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people, the wrong thing will not happen....Paul informs us that there is a table of communion to which we should draw near. There is a right place, a right time, and a right people with whom we should regularly fellowship. At the Lord’s Supper we draw close to Christ in participation with our spiritual family. This too is a way to flee idolatry and the worship of false gods....We are fed by one source, the Lord Jesus Christ. We share a common bond and unity as one body even though we have different cultural, economic, social, and ethnic backgrounds. In Christ we are one family, which is beautifully testified to by the meal of Communion shared at the Lord’s Table." 
  2. Association with Demons Is Evil (10:18-22): "Paul provides three reasons why knowingly eating food sacrificed to idols is foolish and why we should heed his counsel to flee idolatry. (1) It Distorts Our Worship (10:18-20); (2) It Compromises Our Loyalty (10:21); (3) It Provokes God (10:22)." 

The commentary concludes with a powerful insight by A.W. Tozer who shares that "Christianity at any given time is strong or weak depending upon her concept of God. And I insist upon this, and I have said it many times, that the basic trouble with the church today is her unworthy conception of God. . . . Our religion is little because our god is little (Attributes of God, 41)."  Tozer's words are then built upon by the commentary as it shares that "Tozer is right. Think little of God and you will think that dining with demons and dancing with idols is no big deal."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me.  Thank You Jesus! I am not deserving of such love.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.