Tuesday, January 23, 2024

But all things should be done decently and in order.

 1 Corinthians 14

But all things should be done decently and in order. 1 Corinthians 14:40

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians, moving on to an unassisted review of 1 Corinthians 14. Here, building on guidance provided in the previous two chapters on spiritual gifts, Paul provides guidance about how to exercise the spiritual gift of prophecy vs that of speaking in tongues.  My review of the text:

  • V1: Love - as Paul expounds on in the last chapter - is most important to demonstrate with spiritual gifts.
  • Vv1-2: Paul acknowledges the gift of speaking in tongues, but seeks for believers to be understood which is a concern for those speaking in tongues. 
  • Vv3-5: On the other hand, offering prophecy is typically done to encourage, console, and to build up the church. Writings of the major prophets in the Old Testament often serve to warn but also to encourage Israel of God's faithfulness and of the coming Messiah. 
  • Vv6-32: Paul poses a series of rhetorical questions exploring the value of prophecy vs speaking in tongues - coming down on the side prophecy and building up the church. 
  • Vv33-35: Paul offers guidance on women's role in speaking in church.
  • Vv36-40: Paul concludes the chapter by challenging those who challenge him by stating that he acknowledges he has the gift of prophecy and at the same time he knows this gift comes from God so anyone with this gift should recognize this and similarly recognized that they should not challenge Paul.  Paul's final words express a desire for the church to do things "decently and in order."  Paul's repeated use of "build" or "building" up (5x - v3,4,12, and 26) the church is key and expands on how Paul defines "decently."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion. I am not deserving of such grace and love.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.